Seven Promises for Catholic Men by Fr Richard Rohr, O.F.M., and Joseph Martos: “In my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church….” (Colossians 1:24b)
1. I promise to seek Jesus as my teacher, my model and the goal of my life. Without a Lord I am burdened with trying to be my own (see Colossians 1:24).
2. I promise to seek union with the eternal Christ, who is both hidden and revealed in all people, and in all created things, especially in those who are wounded, rejected or outside my limited worldview (Hebrews 13:2).
3. I promise to pursue vital relationships with a few other men as the basic building block of the mystery of Church (see Matthew 18:20).
4. I promise to pursue a regimen of spiritual disciplines in my life, a Gospel ethic in my private and my professional life, and unpaid service toward the needs of my community (see Matthew 6).
5. I promise to support the mission of my parish, to unite my family in public prayer with my parish, and to model a positive attitude of love and justice in all parish efforts (see 1 Corinthians 1:10-13).
6. I promise to take personal responsibility for my actions, to be accountable for my commitments, especially those of husband, father, son, brother— fully active in the House Church (see Ephesians 5:21-33).
7. I promise to be a truly Catholic man by retaining unity with the Bishop of Rome and the universal Church, by weekly participation in the Eucharist and concrete concern for those suffering throughout the world (see John 13:1-20).